Black-owned Boston restaurant list and food prepared by BIPOC chefs.
Black-owned coffee shops, stylish Starbucks style
- Ripple Cafe at Ashmont MBTA Station, on my first trip there, I got the impression that THIS is BLACK STARBUCKS for Boston, done right. Its on Dorchester Avenue and up the street from BRED, which is a fantastic Black-owned sandwich shop on the Lower Mills corner of the street. Through the grapevine, we heard that RIPPLE will open a shop in the 10-acre Black-led development project that was the former Boston State Hospital site in Mattapan as part of the 367-unit housing development. It will be in an area with 100s of brand new housing units on a parcel developed by a partnership of minority-owned business enterprises.
- There area a number of Black-owned Dunkin Donuts and McDonald’s franchise stores and they are doing well. Find them on Blue Hill Ave near Mattapan Sq, at the Roxbury Mall on Warren Street, at Nubian Sqjuare bus terminal. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to add more listings.
- BRED Gourmet Sandwiches on Dorchester Ave, Lower Mills area – Gourmet is the word!
- Oasis Vegan Veggie Parlor is a solid Black-owned VEGAN juice bar and natural food restaurant on Blue Hill Ave
- The Haley House Bakery Cafe, should be listed here so it is. Its a community staple.
- Ali’s ROTI shop, 188 Blue Hill Ave, Mattapan, MA 02126 & South End (617) 298-9850 – they are so delicious on the go
- Dudley Cafe, its at Ground Zero where Black Lives Matter assembles and marches to Boston Common from Nubian Square
Blue Mountain Jamaica Restaurant, Morton Street, Mattapan
Down Home Delivery a Black-family owned, Southern-inspired, Bowdoin Street, smack dab in the middle of the hood, adbnthey ownd the building.
JAMAICA Mi Hungry a big restaurant & food truck service at Ruggles station and planning to open in Allston,MA soon
The WELL, Jamaican Restaurant, Mazzeo Drive Randolph, took over a large Bertucci’s space
FLAMES Jamaican and American Food Restaurants. FLAMES has locations in Randolph, Ashmont Station, Mission Hill, Grove Hall, etc
Next Step Soul Food – ravely reviewed in the Boston Globe, Black-woman owned.
Cesaria – co-owned by City of Boston Economic Chief and mayoral candidate John Barros
Roxbury, Nubian Square & the South End
Darryl’s Corner Bar + Kitchen, formerly Bob’s the Chef years ago, most popular with BLACK MILLENNIALS
MidaBoston chef-inspired Italian cuisine, brand new concept to the Black restaurant scene
Slades Bar + Grill – Millions love the crack chicken, also DJ, R&B arena, comedy club, dancing, sports bar,
Soleil – an AboutBlackBoston.org Getaways Tour group stop and it a great place to dine, won a $75,000 MCGC grant 2021.
Suya Joint – a BlackBoston.com reader took us here after visiting the National Center Museum for Afro-American Artists on Walnut, Ave. It was memorable, I’m glad we went.
Ashur Restaurant casual North African and Middle Eastern
Fort Hill Bar + Grill
Ideal Sub Shop
Maxine’s on St. James
Nos Casa Cafe
P&R Jamaican Restaurant
Silver Slipper Diner
Blue Nile Restaurant
Ali’s Roti — we’ve been eating Ali Rotis for years
Lenny’s Tropical Bakery & Restaurant
Blue Mountain Jamaican Restaurant, Morton Street
P&R Jamaican Restaurant
Pit Stop Barbecue
Shea Butter Smoothies
Wingz & Tingz
The Coast Soul Cafe – great joint, wonderful soul food takeout
Many of these listing appeared in a @BlackBoston Twitter timeline post from WBUR.ORG “The Artery.” Last update 2/3/2022
Black Boston Restaurant News
Soleil, the Nubian Square Black-owned restaurant won a $75,000 competitive grant from MCGC, the Massachusetts Capital Growth Corporation, a quasi-public private agency providing Covid-19 business relief grants.
BECMA, the Black economic council awarded $100,000 to a list of Black-owned restaurants in Boston to help them make ends meet.
Boston Black Restaurant Month is a promotional period asking the public to buy four meals a month from Black restaurants.
Boston Black Hospitality Coalition is on a mission to preserve the availability of Black restaurants and gathering spaces in Boston.
Membership Level: BLACK
Categories: Food, Restaurant, Restaurants
Tags: black, boston, food, list, restaurant, restaurants
Restaurants in Metro Boston
Multiple addresses, refer to weblinks.
Boston, MA US
varies, call first
Ula Cafe is now Black-owned!
Thank you for that. ULA is black-owned update.
We will try to find the location, street address to list etc.
You may provide it to us at email@example.com
Please add Blue Mountain Jamaican to the list of restaurants in Mattapan
Thank you, love it! WE will add Blue Moutain Jamaican Restaurant to the blackboston.com/business listing page.
My name is William