Black farmers used to be the best farmers around in Western Massachusetts where hundreds of acres of farmland owned by the State of Massachusetts is being offered right now to farmers who want to work the land.
The deadline to filing a request for this land is April 20th, 2018.
Long ago. blacks were scattered across Western Mass to work fertile black soil made by proximity to the Connecticut River. Farming crops was big industry for towns like Deerfield in Western Mass. It was a vibrant black farming community in the late 1700s.
Now, hundreds of acres of state-owned land is being made available for a price you set for the state.
Wait, what’s the catch? There’s is none really. The documents you’ll need to apply for the land are straight forward. Working farms have an advantage because you’ll need heavy equipment and staff to work the land. It is a lot of land! But you can partner with one, I would assume.
Are you allowed to grow Cannabis some may ask? Ask the project manager Barbara Hopson at email@example.com or 413-548-1906.
The State-owned Farmland Licensing Program makes state-owned agricultural land available to farmers. The primary purpose of the State-owned Farmland Licensing Program is to make publicly-owned agricultural land available to farmers and others through agricultural licenses. MDAR Seeks proposals for the agricultural use of state-owned agricultural fields at the following locations:
- Danvers State Hospital – For proposals for the agricultural use of up to 193.5+/- acres, formerly part of Danvers State Hospital, located west of Route 1 surrounding former state hospital land and the Hogan Regional Center. All fields have been in rotation of forage corn and grasses. – View Solicitation
- Taunton State Hospital, Middleborough: The agricultural use of state-own property located on approximately 14 acres in Middleborough. – View Solicitation
- Taunton State Hospital, Lakeville: For proposals for the agricultural use of multiple parcels totaling approximately 40.2 +/- acres of farmland located on Bridge Street in Lakeville, Massachusetts. – View Solicitation
- Agawam: For proposals for the agricultural use of 12 +/- acres of state-owned agricultural fields located west of South Westfield Street and east of Pine Street Agawam, Massachusetts. View Solicitation
- Westborough: Westborough: for the agricultural use of state-own property located on the campus of the Westborough State Hospital containing parcels of approximately 51.10 acres, more or less, and approximately 22.70 acres, more or less. View Solicitation
Responses must be received by MDAR no later than 3:00 PM, April 20, 2018.
For more information please contact Barbara Hopson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-548-1906.
Email sent on behalf of the APR PRIME Newsletter.
MDAR’s mission is to ensure the long-term viability of agriculture in Massachusetts. For more information, visit MDAR’s website atwww.mass.gov/agr.